Japanese Educational System

In Japan, its higher education starts upon the completion of 12 years of education : elementary education (6 years of elementary school) and secondary education (3 years of lower secondary school and 3 years of upper secondary school). There are 5 types of higher educational institutions where international students can be admitted to, which are ① Colleges of technology, ② Specialized training colleges (postsecondary course) = professional training colleges, ③ Junior colleges, ④ Universities and ⑤ Graduate schools. These higher educational institutions are largely categorized as either national, local public or private.

After completing your major in a junior college or college of technology recognized by the National Institution for Academic Degrees and University Evaluation (NIAD-UE), you can obtain your “bachelor’s degree” if you pass the examination set by the NIAD-UE. Please check further details from the school you are applying in.

Most higher educational institutions in Japan set its academic year from April to March of the following year. Many of higher educational institutions adopt the semester system.
The long holiday seasons are usually in summer (end July ~early September), winter (end December ~early January) and spring (February ~March).

Most of the educational institutions in Japan start their academic year in April. There are some institutions which start academic year in autumn.
・University Degree Courses Offering Enrollment other than in April

●Number of higher educational institutions by category
  National Local public Private Total
Colleges of technology 51 3 3 57
Professional training colleges 10 193 2,608 2,811
Junior colleges 19 340 359
Universities (Undergraduate) 82 86 584 752
Graduate schools 86 74 464 624
Data from the 2013 School Basic Survey by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
※ The Open University of Japan is categorized as a private university.



   Tell a friend

For Prospective Students

For International Students in Japan

For Former International Students

For Student Advisers