Text size  small middle large

日本語 |  English |  简体中文 |  繁體中文 |  한국어 |  Indonesia |  ไทย |  Tiếng Việt

Universities and Junior Colleges

The duration of a regular undergraduate program at universities is 4 years, while programs in medicine, dentistry, some pharmacy and veterinary science are 6 years. Some universities have programs for part-time students such as audit students and credit-earning students. In addition to degree-programs or long-term research programs, non-degree, short-term programs are also available.
Normally, courses offered in junior colleges take 2 years to complete except for some courses such as the medical technology course or the nursing course, which take 3 years. In contrast to university education that puts emphasis on scientific principles or theoretical research and education, junior colleges focus on education that allows students to learn skills useful to them after their graduation.

Qualifications for admission into Japanese universities and junior colleges
One of the following qualifications must be met for admission into Japanese universities and junior colleges.
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology - Japan
Students who have completed 12 years of school curriculum in foreign countries.
Students who have passed the academic qualification exam equivalent to the completion of 12 years of school education overseas, and must have reached 18 years of age.
Students who have completed their study at international schools in Japan recognized as equivalent to senior high schools overseas, and must have reached 18 years of age.
Students possessing international qualifications such as the International Baccalaureate, the German Abitur and the French Baccalaureate, and must have reached 18 years of age.
Students who have completed the 12 years of school curriculum at international schools accredited by an international accrediting body (WASC / ACSI / ECIS) set up in Japan, and must have reached 18 years of age.
Students recognized as having academic abilities equivalent or better than upper secondary school graduates in an individual entrance qualification examination conducted by the university, and have reached 18 years of age.
  For ① ~ ③ , school education less than 12 years has to be supported with a completion in recognized university preparatory courses or courses at training facilities.

Reference : access websites to search for useful information
Universities, Colleges and Japanese Language Institutes
(Information on Japanese universities, JASSO)
Japanese Colleges and Universities Search (English) https://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/univ_search/
Japanese National Universities(The Japan Association of National Universities) http://www.janu.jp/eng/publications/files/japanese_national_universities.pdf
Japan Study Support http://www.jpss.jp/en/

Documents for submission
Application form (university-specific form)
Curriculum vitae
Certificate of upper secondary school graduation (or anticipated graduation)
Upper secondary school transcript
Letter of recommendation from the principal or a teacher from the originating upper secondary school
Medical certificate
Other required documents
Documents for submission may vary according to universities. For details, it is best that you inquire directly with the school.

Entrance exam
Entrance exam is a combination of these several tests
Application screening*
Test on academic ability
Short essay
Other competence and aptitude tests
Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)*
Japanese Language Proficiency Test*
National Center Test for University Entrance Admissions
*Exams that can be taken overseas
Many schools have a special entrance exam meant for foreigners (international students)

What is Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)?
Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is one of the exams for privately financed international students for entrance into Japanese universities (undergraduate program, etc). EJU is conducted by JASSO. EJU is used by more than 600 universities and other higher educational institutions as an entrance exam For details, please refer toimageExamination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)

Short-term study programs
There are two types of short-term study programs available - the “International Exchange Program ※ ” based on Inter-university Exchange Agreement, and programs not based on this agreement.
Various nature of programs are offered.
1. Level of students ①Graduate ②Undergraduate ③Junior college
2. Language of lectures ①Japanese only ②English only ③Japanese and English
3. Subjects offered ①Japanese language ②Subjects on Japan studies ③Subjects on humanities and social science ④Subjects on natural science ⑤Subjects on science and engineering
(Some universities conduct special classes for short-term international students while some allow them to earn credits in its general department or faculty. Status of these short-term international students can be exchange student, auditor, credit-earning students, etc.)
The “International Exchange Program” is a system allowing international students to study in Japan while maintaining their student status in their home institution for the purpose of earning credits. Under the Inter-university Exchange Agreement, the duration of the program ranges from one semester to one year. Applications are handled by your home institution.

It is not necessarily allowed every year.
It is not necessarily applicable for all departments and faculties.。
Some are capacity-based while some are replacement-based.
The terms completed and the credits earned at another university are not always transferable.
Compared to general entrance exams, information on university transfer program is very limited. Get early information from your school of choice on its availability and other details you may need on its university transfer program.

Qualifications for graduation and completion

A student will be awarded the “bachelor’s degree” upon graduation provided that the following criteria have been satisfied.
  Duration of study Total credits earned
Regular undergraduate departments
4-year department of pharmacy
4 years 124 credits or more
Medicine and dentistry
Veterinary science
6-year department of pharmacy
6 years Medicine and dentistry 188 credits or more
Veterinary science 182 credits or more
Pharmacy 186 credits or more

Junior colleges
A student will be awarded the “associate degree” upon graduation provided that the following criteria have been satisfied.
  Total credits earned
For a 2-year course 62 credits or more
For a 3-year course 93 credits or more

Academic degrees earned in Japan
Generally, academic degrees earned in Japan are treated the same as other academic degrees awarded by any other universities overseas. However, some countries may have degree-evaluation bodies such as the education ministry or appraising institutions (non-profit organizations, private corporations etc.). So, it is wise to check with the relevant institution in your home country on the recognition status of the course you plan to take.



Print    Tell a friend

Independent Administrative Institution
Japan Student Services Organization Copyright (c) JASSO. All rights reserved.